Sundays in TJICistan is often Weasel* Workshop time.
Since Christmas, I've been able to work through some of the backlog of my old to do list:
This morning I finally managed to get my little hussif there in the top left filled with needles, thread, and a little chunk of wax. It's intentionally kind of raggedy - once I had the body together I took suck a liking to the primitive look of it that I couldn't stand to bind the edge. Maybe someday. Underneath are some linen poke bags I've busied my hands with some evenings lately.
These I completed sometime back, during the Great Beeswax Debacle of 2012. We don't discuss that anymore, but at least the smaller pieces came out quite nice. The sheaths were dipped in molten beeswax, kept there a few moments, then pulled out, mounted in place, and rubbed smooth. The hemp cord has a fishhook buried inside there tied to the end of the line. Gonna be fun to see if it works next summer:
This morning I got one of those horns cut up. I've not decided what purpose if any the cutoff bit from the bottom will serve, but the two middle sections will eventually be waterproof containers for tinder and salt. Next up for those - cut some wooden plugs, possibly hollow out the inside of the horns more, boil the horns, and mount the plugs. The horn tip will probably be a medieval ink horn or a sailors' grease horn, I've not decided:
Today, I've just finished the cover to a whetstone, and last weekend managed to hollow out the bowl of a spoon I've been working on, both from a nice piece of walnut from the "rescued from the firewood pile" stash -
Finally, if all goes well, this summer I'll get some maritime education. By way of preparation -
Derived from "Weasel World," when young Master W often comes to visit for the morning. This is Weasel -